Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Early December

It's officially December, which means it's time to watch Christmas movies and listen to Justin Bieber's Christmas cd on repeat. And, like all good Jews, I look forward to a Chinese food fest on Christmas day. The Christmas/holiday season (Don't get caught up in that, I don't get offended when people tell me Merry Christmas, you shouldn't get offended when people say Happy Holidays. Move on.) is, at least in the movies- which is what real life is based on, obviously- about love and stuff. However, my favorite things about winter have little to nothing to do with love and stuff. Okay, maybe peripherally because deep down I'm a hopeless romantic blah blah blah. December. Here's why it's awesome:

Snow. I didn't used to like it, but it never quite feels like winter until it snows and sticks. It's pretty and romantic and too much fun to play in. Now that I'm car-less snow doesn't seem like that much of an inconvenience anymore. Plus, Chicago in the winter is beeeautiful...when the snow doesn't shut the city down.

Pond hockey. Growing up there was a pond behind the houses down the street that we used to skate on. It was pretty shallow so it froze easily and if you were to fall through, which did happen a few times, you were only just above waist deep at worst. It was usually only someone's leg that went through the ice anyway. No biggie. Living in a high rise doesn't lend itself to pond hockey, but it's still something that makes winter awesome.

Hockey season. No explanation necessary.

Home Alone and Elf. The two best Christmas movies ever made. While I'm down to watch these any time of year, it's not considered obnoxious to watch them every day. Which I will. And I'll quote them both until you want to hit me but you won't because you know how awesome these movies are.






It's romantic. Period. From under the mistletoe kisses to the high expectation of the New Years Eve midnight kiss, there's so much kissing going on for cold and flu season. Something about the season makes people want to snuggle up and drink hot cocoa while watching football. Wait. That's not right...

December's just all around a great month, and I for one am glad it's finally here. Although I would like more time to find a New Years dress...31 days is definitely not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment