Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Thanksgiving Story

I don't know when or how it happened, but Thanksgiving got lost in the shuffle between Halloween and Christmas. This makes me so sad because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Okay, it's my favorite food holiday. Fine, it's the only food holiday but I still love it. While I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Michigan Ave decorated for the season, I'd be much happier if people would wait 3 weeks to focus on buying presents and decorating their houses in the tackiest way possible. Thanksgiving needs to ball up and tell Christmas to wait until December to take over the airwaves. I understand I'm in the minority on this one. Most of the people I know, including my own mother (I might have to write a post entitled "1000 Reasons I Must Be Adopted"), can't wait to hear Christmas Shoes on the radio and cry for the rest of the day. Maybe I have this mindset because Hannukah's a way more kickass holiday than Christmas could ever dream to be: 8 days of presents, gambling is encouraged (for chocolate money, even better), and fried food is a staple. Anyway, my family's Thanksgiving has changed drastically over the last 5 years with people moving, getting married, having kids, etc. And while I might complain about how it's not the same as it used to be, it's still my favorite (food) holiday and I wouldn't miss it for the world. I can't wait to drive 5 hours, potentially through snow, put on yoga pants, watch the Lions dominate the Packers, and eat shit-tons of delicious food. I might even wake up early and brave Somerset for some Black Friday deals...and maybe do something to burn off the 80 pounds of mashed potatoes I plan on taking down.

No comments:

Post a Comment